Sunday, February 8, 2015

February 8 - Exodus 22:16 - 24:18

Good morning everyone,

Today in our reading we will pick up where we left off with God explaining to Moses how the Israelites were to handle everyday situations that would come up. Laying down the law. God’s objective was to protect them, get them organized and to keep their attention on God. Every culture, every country, every family, every person must have boundaries. Rules and laws that need to be adhered to, without them people would not survive. Plain and simple. 

In chapter 23 the Israelites were told each year they were to celebrate three festivals in God’s honor. These religious festivals were connected with the nation’s agricultural cycle. The Feast of Unleavened Bread occurred in March or April in celebration of the early barley harvest. Seven weeks later came the Feast of Weeks, celebrating the harvest of other cereal crops such as wheat. Finally, the Feast of Tabernacles celebrated the final harvest and end of the agricultural season in the autumn. When they gathered together, they were to eat together, catch up on what and how everyone has been doing, laugh together, have a joyful time while honoring God. 

In chapter 24 the Lord said to Moses, “Come up to the Lord, you and Aaron, Nadab and Abihu, and seventy of the elders of Israel.” God is going to finalize the deal, the covenant with the people of Israel. We read, when Moses went and told the people all of the Lord’s words and laws, they responded with one voice, “Everything the Lord has said we will do.” The next morning Moses got up early and built an alter at the foot of the mountain where he then took the Book of the Covenant and read it to the people, essentially asking, “Do you understand the terms?” Again they responded, “We will do everything the Lord has said; we will obey.” So the Lord said to Moses, “Come up to me on the mountain and stay here, and I will give you the tablets of stone with the law and commandments I have written for their instruction.”

It begs the question, Christians, are we saying, “We will do everything the Lord has said; we will obey.” Obedience is the practical acceptance of the authority and will of God. It includes both submitting to Him and then expressing that submission in actions, words and thoughts. To be obedient is to be in agreement with God. To be in agreement with God and act accordingly, don’t overlook that, “Act accordingly!” John 14:15, 21 tells us, "If you love me, you will obey what I command ....Whoever has my commands, and obeys them he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him.” It takes a conscious effort to do this, to daily, sometimes minute by minute choose to swallow pride, empty self, deny the enemy and act in a God like manner. 

James tells us, "Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says" In Luke we read, "Why do you call me, "Lord, Lord, and do not do what I say?” Friends, we all are disobedient in some area of our lives. I would encourage us all to take an honest inventory of ourselves. Not a quick once over and conclude, “I’m good…”  but truly examine every aspect of our hearts and minds. And don’t stop there, also ask God to search your hearts, search our hearts, and to remove the blinders to reveal any sin or wrong behavior that is lodged in the dark recesses. He will reveal it to you, and when he does then thank Him for making these areas known to you, and make a real effort to change your heart. It is one thing to know the Word but are you, am I really, in all areas of our lives genuinely living God’s plan? 

Oh Lord Jesus, Father God, we come to you this morning, knowing, fully aware, that we are sinners, that we are far from perfect. But Father we long to shed as much of that sin and filthy rags of our past that is humanly possible. We are desperate to live our lives totally , wholly committed to your perfect way. I pray this morning that you would reveal any sin to me, to us, that may be keeping us from doing just that, Show us any behavior that could possibly be causing ripples in a relationship, or distance with You, Father. Give us the ears to hear you when you speak, and the discipline to obey what you reveal to us. It is my prayer, Lord that we would purpose to submit to your guidance, not just know the ways of your Word, but to earnestly act on them. Help me, I pray to see, to know the glory that comes when I make the choice to be obedient to you. Help us to be able to swallow our pride, to be humble and selfless in all situations. Oh my God, the Lover of my soul, how I worship and adore you. How I desperately long to please you . You alone are worthy of all glory honor and praise. I thank you in advance Father for answer to the prayer.

I love you Lord, and I lift my voice. To worship You, Oh, my soul, rejoice! Take joy my King, in what You hear. Let it be a sweet, sweet sound in Your ear.And all God’s people said ….. Amen!

Have a great day and to God the Father be all the glory.

God bless you all …..

No comments: