Wednesday, November 19, 2014

November 19 - 1 Corinthians 4:1-7:40

Good morning everyone,

As I mentioned yesterday, Corinth was a wild and wicked city. Up on the hill, above the town, was a temple to Aphrodite, the Greek female god of love, where thousands of prostitutes, women and men, lived and basically worked out of. In the evenings they would saunter down into the town to seduce anyone they came into contact with. Corinth became well-known for their drunkenness and lewd sexual behavior. As a matter of fact, in their theatre, the “Corinthian” was always the drunk, promiscuous one and, in their economy, when they got really angry with a person and wanted to insult them they would say, “You, you ….. you Corinthian.” It is easy to see how difficult it could be for a Christian to not be influenced by the ways of that world.

In chapter four, Paul tells the people that they should think of Paul, Peter and Apollos as  mere servants of Christ entrusted with the secrets God shows them. That they have proven themselves loyal and it really doesn’t matter what “man” thinks about them, only that they please God. 

I just have to take a moment here to say, I so get that. In my mind’s eye I have this block style arrow pointing up toward Jesus. When I keep my eyes fixed on that, when it is only God and what He wants that I stay focused on, all is well in my world. But I am going to tell you, when I take my eyes off of that arrow and start worrying about what others think of me, of fair vs unfair, of self, it does not take long at all, for the enemy to stick his vile talons in me filling my head with vicious lies that I am ready to believe. It is so quick I don’t even realize it’s happening. I will get all confused and desperately frightened, almost panicky not knowing which way to turn. But then God says, “Here I am dear daughter. Just look up.” And immediately a peaceful calm settles upon me, I see my arrow again and all is well in my world. Praise God. You would think that at some point in one’s life you’d be safe from satan, but we never are, we never will be, not this side of heaven. 

I like in the letter Paul points out that we are not to be eating with or hanging out with people who call themselves Christians but who are sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or slanderer, a drunkard or swindler, basically hypocrites. Paul says, What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? God will judge those outside. “Expel the wicked person from among you.” We are called to recognize and help fellow Christians who have gotten off the straight and narrow, so to speak. Having said that, if they do not want to be helped, if they continue to act contrary to God’s will for our lives in Christ then it is our position, as a family of Christians, to judge them and act accordingly. Make sense? 

We also read today, if we have a problem with a fellow Christian, work it out. Don’t take them to court. It is not good to behave like heathens in front of unbelievers. Paul says, “Why not rather be wronged? Why not rather be cheated?” Do we always have to win? Where is the humble in that? Paul also said, “Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.” Amen to that! Right?

That is what some of us “were”, myself included. But we were washed by the blood of the Lamb. We can claim, “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” We are changed because, “If anyone is in Christ, they are a new creation. The old has gone, the new is here!” Thank you, Jesus!

Much the same as the Christians of the early church, the world today is a tough place for a Christian to navigate. But it is not impossible. God would not ask us to do something unfeasible. I would encourage you to simply listen for the Spirit to guide you and keep your eyes on the prize. Amen?

Have a great day and to God be the glory.

God bless you all …..

No comments: