Wednesday, February 12, 2014

February 12 - Exodus 35:1-36:38

Good morning everyone,

Today as we begin our reading, Moses has assembled the Israelites to deliver to them the instructions God has sent down from the mountain concerning the Sabbath, free-will gifts of gold, silver, brass, blue, purple, scarlet thread, fine linen, goat hair for cloth, along with all the other items needed for the construction of the tabernacle. The people, if so moved, were to cheerfully bring their ornaments as offerings to the Lord. 

God qualified and appointed Bezaleel and Aholiab to manage all the work of the tabernacle, however, let’s not underestimate the size of this job.The ten curtains for the tabernacle alone, we’re told in 26:1-2, were to be twenty-eight cubits long, and four cubits wide; that’s 42 ft. x 6 ft., with cherubim woven into them. Now just for reference, your average school bus is 36 ft. long so we are talking a very big curtain. Imagine how heavy it must have been, how awkward it was to work with. Several years ago I made a quilted bedspread for my queen size bed and found that job to be more than a little bit daunting; and they were to weave these curtains with an intricate design ten times the same way? Good grief! Huge job!, and that was just one aspect. It is no wonder that God was very insistent upon them resting on the Sabbath.

About resting on the Sabbath … there are some who would argue, “I don’t really need to, or have time to, or want to rest on the Sabbath, on Sunday, but you go right ahead if you want to, I’m good with that.” It doesn’t work that way, I’ll tell you why. If I am, if you are, sitting in the house or out on the patio and a spouse or a friend is out in the yard struggling with work, are you going to be able to just sit there, put all that they are doing out of your mind and relax? I wouldn’t be able to and I am guessing that most of you would not be able to either. Feeling somewhat guilty, most of us would change our clothes, go get our gloves and lend a helping hand. There are others that would argue, “well my job demands I be there on Sunday, I just can’t not work”, and I get what you’re saying however, let us not forget it is a command to have a day of rest. To take some time to refresh. Take some time to refuel, be with God. So to that I would say talk to God about it, get quiet and listen to Him because where God guides, God provides. God does not give us commands and then make it impossible to follow through with them, make sense?

I know I have said it before (and I will probably say it again) but the truth of the matter is, God’s plan is perfect, His ways are always just, in out best interest and have been throughout all time. You can not go wrong when you put your hand in His and walk the way He leads you.

I love the words of this old hymn (sorry, I don’t know who penned it) it goes : Thy hand, O God, has guided thy flock, from age to age; their wondrous tale is written, full clear, on every page; thy people owned thy goodness,
and we their deeds record; and both of this bear witness; one Church, one Faith, one Lord.

I pray you have a great day. To God be the glory.

God bless you all …

No comments: