Sunday, August 10, 2014

August 10 - Jeremiah 16:1-18:23 | Jeremiah 35:1-19

Good morning everyone,

Today we begin with glimpse of what it was like for Jeremiah to be a prophet with the message of disaster. He was young, he wasn’t to marry, have children or take part in funerals of festivals. They thought him to be a social outcast, the kind of person you cross the street to avoid. He brought with him a message promising a second wave of attack, nobody want to hear that and so they shunned him. Can you see them standing there in their cotton robes, sashed at the waist, making no eye contact, thinking, “If I can’t see him, he’s not really there so neither is the message.” Babies are like that. If you leave the room or even just step behind them where they cannot see you they believe you to be gone for ever. Just because they ignored him and didn’t believe him it didn’t change the inevitable.

I find it so encouraging, alluring even, that despite the lonely existence Jeremiah must have had, he takes refuge in the Lord. Chapter 16:19-21 is a beautiful prayer of faith and conviction. My husband, Matt, is away for more than half of the year working on a vessel usually in the Alaska area. And while my life in no way compares to that of a Jeremiah, it does get lonely at sometimes, I am not a big fan of doing life by myself. In the times he is away I am allowed a small understanding of what singles may go through, wanting that “special someone” there to share in the happy and sad times, not to mention the chores. Right? Someone to be able to confide in, someone to give you a hug when needed. Someone to add purpose to the days that pass by. I have found that while my family members are a great source of love and gladness to me, and my friends allow me accountability and joy, and my dear husband is an amazing companion and someone I know I can always depend on, it is God who is my strength. He is a constant, loving presence who will never let me down. Isaiah 41:10 tells us, “Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand” Brilliant promise! But better yet, since God is with us, who could possibly be against us?

Paul Baloche sings a song that never fails to place me in the loving arms of my Abba Father. It warms me and melts all my worries away every single time, it goes; 

I have a Maker
He formed my heart
Before even time began
My life was in His hands

I have a Father
He calls me His own
He'll never leave me
No matter where I go

He knows my name
He knows my every thought
He sees each tear that falls
And hears me when I call

Ahhh, I love that! He hears me when I call!! Friends, Jeremiah, though he was a lonesome dude, knew the Father was his shelter. That same Father hears you, He hears me when we call. He knows our name and sees each tear that falls. Call out to Him, allow Jesus the honor of being your fortress, your refuge in times of trouble. Amen?

Have a good day and to God be the glory.
God bless you all …..  


No comments: