Saturday, August 2, 2014

August 2 - Habakkuk 1:1-3:19 | Zephaniah 1:1-2:7

Good morning  everyone,

This morning we begin with the book of Habakkuk, who was the last of the minor prophets to Judah before the Babylonian invasion and whose ministry probably coincided with Assyria’s downfall. The times were very dark and troubled, violence, idol worship, sexual immorality and injustice prevailed and Habakkuk was frustrated, perplexed by all the suffering. He could not understand why God seemed to do nothing about the wickedness in society and so he goes to God and in more of a conversation with God then an actual “go tell the people” prophecy, asks Him “Why?” Habakkuk begins with gloom and ends with glory. He does not challenge God nor does he accuse God, he simply falls to his knees and wonders. Who has not been there? For sure I have, when Yahweh will then lovingly remind me by Isaiah 55:8, “"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD.” Habakkuk will realize that faith in God alone will supply his answers.

I love chapter 3, Habakkuk’s prayer. God had listened to Habakkuk and then replied to his complaint; and what does Habakkuk do? He responds with awe-filled worship and prayer. Oh, Father God, I pray that my heart would always remember to be that soft and agreeable to all situations, to the life plan you have designed for me. 3:18-19 says, “Yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior. The Sovereign Lord is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to tread on the heights.”

Habakkuk knew and understood that God loved Judah so much that He was not going to just sit back and watch them drift away in their filth forever. Oh no! He had much better life planned for them, but they had sunk so low into the slimy pit of the world that the only way to save them was to first allow them to hit rock bottom where realize their need and true desire to live according to God’s plan and cry out. The Lord wants us to seek His face. He wants to bless us with that peace that surpasses all understanding. 1Thessalonians 5:16-18 tells us, Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” Trust in God, exercise your faith. Simply let go and let God.

Casting Crowns sings a song called “Just Be Held.” I love the lyrics which would be  quite long to put on here but some of the words are: “So when you’re on your knees and answers seem so far away, You’re not alone, stop holding on and just be held, Your worlds not falling apart, its falling into place, Im on the throne, stop holding on and just be held.” We are not alone! This is not our fight! These are not our worries! Let’s stop holding on to them and allow ourselves to be held in the loving arms of our Father and believe in His plan. Amen?

Have a super good day and to God be the glory.
God bless you all …..


No comments: