Thursday, March 13, 2014

March 13 - Deuteronomy 3:21 - 5:33

Good morning everyone,

We open this morning with Moses giving Joshua some words of encouragement. On the heals of victory over Sihon and Og, Moses says in 3:21-22 "You have seen for yourself everything the Lord your God has done to these two kings. He will do the same to all the kingdoms on the kingdoms on the west side of the Jordan. Do not be afraid of the nations there, the Lord your God will fight for you." I love that it says "God will fight for you." Not just that he'll be there in the event something goes wrong, which He surely will be, but that He will also fight for us. How encouraging is that?! The battle belongs to the Lord. Whether it is temptation the enemy is dangling in front of us or fear of anything, God has promised to fight with and for us if only we have the faith and put our hope and confidence in Him.

Now if you will remember back to Numbers 20 because Moses misrepresented God to the people and struck the rock for water he would not be allowed to enter the Promised Land with the others. How heartbreaking it had to have been for Moses know this, know he would be staying behind while he watched the others prepare to cross. In verses 24-25 we read him praying to God, pleading with Him to please let him go with the others, but our God is a God who keeps His word, but He is also a God of compassion and told Moses to go to the top of Pisgah Peak where God gave Moses, I believe, a supernatural 3D movie viewing of the land and how it would look with all the Israelites living in it. God loved Moses, and how wonderful that had to have been for them both.

Have you ever gone on on a trip anywhere and had a list of things to do before you finally go? Or gone out at night and left a babysitter in charge and had some last minute reminders you just needed to say before leaving? Well, this is what the next two chapters remind me of. Moses loved these people so much, he had been with them, led them, laughed and cried with them, scolded them, encouraged them, shook his head in wonder over them and now it was time for them to part, but before they did Moses just wants to remind them one more time to not forget all of what they had seen God do, but more than that he pleads with them, encourages them to tell the stories to their children and to their children's children on down the line so that God's great love, faithfulness and provision will never be forgotten.

Finally Moses recounts the Ten Commandments, God's standard for right living. Several year ago I went to Washington DC and while there a total sense of patriotism washed over me. Oh sure I had read all about the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and all of the places where major events in the history of the U.S. took place I totally believed, was 100% convinced but when I actually saw with my own eyes it was like all the reading I had ever done started walking around and now I lived it too. Imagine for a moment, if you will, the excitement, the pride, the patriotism that was lived the day the Dead Sea Scroll of Deuteronomy was found revealing the Ten Commandments, the ever so precious revelation of God's will for you, for me, for all of God's people. Though I have not seen the scroll I know God is real, I can 3D movie see Him any ole' time I want. He is alive and living in all those who choose Him. I would encourage you to ive the full experience. Follow the Ten Commandments and know the blessings of the Lord.

I pray you have a great day, to God be the glory.
God bless you all...

No comments: