Monday, May 12, 2014

May 12 - Psalm 61-62 | Psalm 64-67

Good morning everyone,

This morning as we continue to go through some of the psalms I want to focus on 62. The psalm starts out, “Truly my soul finds rest in God; my salvation comes from him. Truly he is my rock and my salvation.” At this point David is still on the run from Absolam. Some of the people of from his court, his trusted inner circle have turned on him and are gossiping and lying about him. Even the people of the land are ready to kick dirt and hurl stones at him. A very lonely place to be, for sure, but David looks to God, the one place where there is always acceptance and peace. He calls God his Rock, in fact three times in this one psalm he refers to God as his Rock.

So what is the Rock? The dictionary will tell us it is the solid mineral material forming part of the surface of the earth and other similar planets, exposed on the surface or underlying the soil or oceans. In the Mojave Desert, down by Barstow, Calif., there is a rock that covers 5,800 square feet of ground and is seven stories high. To put that in perspective, think about how many sq. ft. there are in your home. This giant rock is unique in that it is thought to be the largest free standing boulder in the world and where it’s reported, a prospector sought refuge beneath it, and though people abuse it by writing graffiti all over it it, it still stands firmly in place year after year enduring all the elements time has used to wear it down.

The Bible tells us our Rock is also unique. A God superior to all other gods, and worthy to be praised; also a refuge, a strong tower who saves and delivers his people. David recognized the solid, unmovable, unshakeable characteristics of the Lord, and confidently took refuge in and placed his trust in him saying in verse 8, “Trust in him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge.”

Friends, I can not say it any better myself. I can only add that when the enemy starts pushing you around, gives his best effort to confuse your thoughts, beat you up, remember to look up and take refuge in the strength of, our Abba Father, the God of the universe. Sometimes you have to get really quiet to do that.

Once when I was young, R-E-A-L young, while at the beach I had stopped to watch some kids (I can call them that now because they would be that compared to me today) surfing. They asked me if I wanted to give it a go. With no hesitation I said, “Yes I do!” So they gave me a run down on the fundamentals and a few quick pointers, then lent me a surf board to go out and give it a try. The first couple of attempts were nothing spectacular, I would like to remember them as shooting the curl of a 40 ft. wave off the coast of Hawaii somewhere, but actually, if you want to know the truth, I didn’t even get to my feet on the probably 3 ft. swells in Southern Calif. After several attempts, though, I was finally able to stand, well kind of, I was bent over at the waist searching for balance on wobbly legs. Then I started building a little bit of confidence, and it is when I started acting like “Super Special Surfer Girl” that I took THE most amazing fall, which could be a devotional all in itself, but the one thing I remember most about that was all of the turbulent water I was being tossed around and around and around in. It was cRaZy, I fought and fought for what seemed like forever to get my bearings straight, bordering on panic before I thought to relax and let gravity take me up. It’s like that with God, Psalm 46:10 says, “"Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” It is when we just stop fighting it, and let the LORD of hosts take control that our lives will be much less tumultuous. David said, “Power belongs to you, God, and with you, Lord, is unfailing love.” To which I say … Amen!

Have a most awesome day dude and to God be the glory :-)
God bless you all …

No comments: