Tuesday, May 27, 2014

May 27 - Proverbs 1:1-4:27

Good morning everyone. Proverbs … hmmm, they’re typically short, compact statements that express truth about human behavior. They were written primarily by Solomon at about 1000 BC to pass along the wisdom God gave him to his son, to allow him some solid direction with the basic “do’s and don’ts ”of life. It was a good time for Israel, they were at peace and experiencing great prosperity, all was good in the land. 

There are thirty one chapters in Proverbs. It is reported that for countless years Billy Graham read one chapter from proverbs every night, matching the date up with the proverb chapter and starting over each month. He is quoted as saying, “I used to read five psalms every day - that teaches me how to get along with God. Then I read a chapter of Proverbs every day and that teaches me how to get along with my fellow man.” I love that; don’t you? I think, from time to time, we could all use a little more instruction on how to get along better with God and with our fellow man. Right? 

The proverbs all seem so simple when reading through them. Over and over I found myself thinking, “well, that’s a no brainer”, and yet sometimes the obvious just has to be stated for a person to fully get it, so that there is no question. You know? So I just love how Solomon says vs.7, “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; but fools despise wisdom and instruction.” That is pretty straight forward. The fear of the Lord is where it all begins. The Lord wants us to succeed and He is committed to instructing us, we can either learn from the wisdom God gave Solomon, who then passed it along to us, or we can learn in the “school of hard knocks.” It is with great humiliation I confess that for too many years of my life, my name was “fool” and I was the recipient of many a bruises in the afore mentioned school before I realized that it would be much easier Billy Graham’s way, to learn by studying the Word. I love God’s Word and all it has to offer. I love how dependable it is, how it has direction for every aspect of our lives, and that the instructions are crystal clear. Yep, and I especially like how it leaves me less marred. :-)

One of my very favorite proverbs is 3. “Let love and faithfulness never leave you.” “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him.” Submit is a hard word for our culture, especially women. In Ephesians, Colossians and 1 Peter we’re told, “Wives submit to your husbands.” It does not say, “If it sounds like something you want to do, submit” or “if you feel like it, submit” there is actually no “if” attached to it at all other than, of course, God would not want you to do anything that is a sin. So, it is the job of the wife to submit to her husband, to cheerfully submit. God puts that instruction there for a reason, it allows order and contrary to the way television and movies would have us believe, men can do an amazing job of leading the household when they are allowed to. When they’re encouraged, not nagged. When they’re uplifted, not beaten down. If you put your trust in God, pray for your husband, and be his cheerleader you will find amazing things will happen; not overnight, but it will happen and you and your marriage will be happier and stronger for it. God is faithful, Psalm 117:2 says, “For great is his love toward us, and the faithfulness of the LORD endures forever. Praise the Lord.” Amen?

Have a wonderfully sunny day and to God be the glory.

God bless you all …

No comments: