Tuesday, May 6, 2014

May 6 - 1Kings 2:1-9 | 2Samuel 23:1-7 | 1Kings 2:10-12 | 1Chronicles 29:26-30 | Psalms 4-6 | Psalms 8-9 | 
Psalm 11

Good morning everyone,

We begin reading this morning with David giving his last words to Solomon before the Lord takes him home. While I was reading, I found the directions to sound vaguely familiar to words of instruction or reminders Matt might use when he is headed off to work for two weeks. Words of experience to make my life a little easier, helpful hints that allow things to run smoother, because he loves me and cares about my welfare. That’s not to say that he has ever instructed me to lop off someone’s head, but you get the idea. 

As I sit here, I am wondering how much David had in common with Solomon. David was a warrior, a man’s man, a giant killer who could leap tall walls. David’s older son, Absalom, the kid who was probably on his father’s heals as a toddler, the boy he probably wrestled a lot with in the courtyard, the son he mourned bitterly over when he died, was more like David than Solomon was. Solomon, who was  thought not to be more than sixteen years old when David died, was a gentler sort of youngster. Probably the “head in a book type”. He was born in the later years of David’s life, he definitely spent more time with his mother, he was a peaceful kid, and maybe not as easy for David to relate to. So, David has some last words for Solomon, to hopefully help carry him through the learning curve of being a king.

David’s first charge was to, “Observe the requirements of the Lord your God and follow all his ways.” That seems simple enough. Right? “Just keep the decrees, command, regulations and laws written in the Law of Moses and you’ll be successful wherever you go.” Great advice and the first on the list. Not an “Oh, by the way.” No! God was first in David’s words of wisdom to his son.

Then there is the matter of Joab. This guy was a mean, sneaky murderous dude. David had known him for fifty years and knew how to handle him. David also know Joab would run Solomon over like a freight train so he instructed him to give him the death sentence he had earned many times over, and Solomon did.

David also wanted to be sure the sons of Barzillai were always welcomed and provided for. You remember him, right?, he was the gentleman who fed and clothed David and his troops when they were on the run from Absalom. Good guy.

Ahhh, let’s not forget the cranky, Shimei, the guy who threw stones, nasty words and kicked dust at David, is another concern for David. He instructs Solomon to get rid of him. We’ll read later that Solomon doesn’t have him killed right away but rather puts him in a sort of house arrest, allowing him to live if he stays in the city. 

Then, we’re told, the son of Jesse, who, as a young boy tending sheep was chosen by God to be, second only to Jesus, the greatest king Israel would ever see, died and was buried with his ancestors in the City of David. David loved God, I believe, as much as anyone can love God. It’s true, he was a guy who made some poor choices, and he sometimes lost his way, but never for very long. He always sought to have a close, personal relationship with God, constantly pouring his heart out in writing to his Abba for help, for direction and oh how he loved to sing praises to Him. I thank God for the example of David. It allows me to be me, all of us to be who we are with the blessed assurance that when we do mess up and make poor choices, and we will, God is right there with His outstretched hand waiting for us to take hold and continue our walk with Him while He listens as we tell him all about it. Our God is so amazing.

I am going to finish with a the words of a song that have been dancing through my heart this morning, penned by Fredrick Whitfield, I know you’ll quickly recognize them.

There is a name I love to hear, I love to sing its worth. It sounds like music in my ear, the sweetest name on earth. It tells me of a Savior’s love, who died to set me free. It tells me of His precious blood, the sinner’s perfect plea. It tells of One whose loving heart can feel my deepest woe, who in each sorrow bears a part, that none can bear below. Oh, how I love Jesus! Oh, how I love Jesus! Oh, how I love Jesus! Because he first loved me.

Have a great day and to our mighty God be all the glory.

God bless you …

No comments: