Wednesday, July 2, 2014

July 2 - Proverbs 25:1-29:27

Good morning everyone,

This morning we get to take a look at some more of the proverbs. Chapters twenty five through twenty nine, though written by Solomon, weren’t published, so to speak, until about two hundred and fifty years later, and then by king Hezekiah. In my mind’s eye I can just see a couple of the kings men probing the dark dusty corners of the castles attic, a dipping angle in one hand, swiping at the cob webs with the other,  saying to one another, “the King said the goblets were up here somewhere. I wonder what these are? Take a look at this will you? Why … they look to be written by old king Solomon. Hezekiah will want to see this,” when coming across these long forgotten scrolls of Solomon. I love to journal, I am not as disciplined in it as I would like to be, but when I look back at the words I wrote five, ten or even as short a time as one year ago I am able to see how God has worked in my life. Prayer journals are even more amazing for seeing  how God is working and the many, many prayers that do get answered.

Gosh, there are so many bursts of gold dust in the words of Solomon, it is hard to pick one to expound on. I do like in 27:1, it says, “Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring.” No one is guaranteed a tomorrow so it begs the question, what are you doing with your today? This reminds me of the story in the book of Acts where we read that at one point in Paul’s life he was seized by some hostile Jews and in the course of “judgement” he would come face to face with the governor Felix and instead of pleading for his own life Paul uses the opportunity to present the gospel to Felix. Paul talked about righteousness, self-control and the judgment to come, Felix was afraid and said, “That’s enough for now! You may leave. When I find it convenient, I will send for you.” 

Sadly we never hear any more of Felix. Perhaps at some point in his life,he found it convenient and sent for Paul or perhaps just reflected on the words of Paul and asked the Lord into his heart and we may see him in heaven, maybe not. The point is, he pushed him off, he procrastinated. So many people do that very same thing today. The young say, “Oh yea, well I just don’t want to be strapped down by that Christian stuff now, there’s plenty of time for that. I mean, you know, I’ve got a life. I believe in God and all, but I can read the Bible when I am older and learn all about it then.” Then the old think, “Yea, well. I have made it this far without reading the Bible, I’m a good person and really it’s a little late to be starting all that up now. Where’s my remote control?” The enemy LOVES that mentality! Why? Because he doesn’t have to worry about them ever getting close to God. They are “low maintenance” in his economy and looks forward to tormenting them in their choice of eternity. Friends, I would encourage you to not procrastinate one minute more, make plans for your eternity right now, then work those plans. Don’t be a Felix and procrastinate, Matthew 7:21 tells us, “Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.” However it goes on to say Matthew 7:24-25, “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.” Right on? I would encourage you to make your plans for eternity on the Rock.

Isaiah 26:4 says, “Trust in the LORD forever, for the LORD, the LORD himself, is the Rock eternal.” And all God’s people said … Amen!

Have a great day my friends and to God be the glory!

God bless you all ….

No comments: