Thursday, July 3, 2014

July 3 - Proverbs 30:1-31:31

Good morning everyone,

Today we take a look at the last two proverbs in the book. Proverbs 30 is the sayings of Agur, whose name means gatherer, and though nothing is known about him except that he was perhaps a wise teacher, one thing we do know is that his writings were inspired by the Holy Spirit and put in the Bible for us to learn from. In Matthew 4:4 Jesus told Satan, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.” That’s good enough for me. Right on? I love the quick, sharp and to the point messages Agur uses in his writings, leaves little room for question. 

Chapter 31 starts off with verse 1 saying, “The sayings of King Lemuel—an inspired utterance his mother taught him.” Many Bible commentators believe that Lemuel was in fact Solomon, that it was a pet name his mother, Bathsheba used to address him. The advice she had for her son? Avoid wine and women and to speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves; advice every young man should hear, don’t you think?

Verse ten brings us to the “Epilogue: The Wife of Noble Character” a virtuous woman. We’re told a virtuous woman is a woman who serves God with all of her heart, who respects her husband, teaches her children, is an aerobics kind of girl as her arms are strong, spends money wisely, is a good homemaker and has a glow about her that one can only receive when they are so in love with the Lord. What does that look like today? Well, she would be a wife who is resourceful and steps right in to help her husband through financial difficulties while preserving his pride. She displays grace, strength, and acts dignified. A Godly wife is calm, unworried, modest and trusts in God to provide. She knows when to speak up and when to hold her tongue. She is not bossy or self-righteous, but takes her instruction from God, and always, always, always considers her husband. 

I once thought it was a little idealistic to be that perfect woman in Proverbs 31, that perhaps the bar was a little high, but I have got to admit when I do my best to live my life according to His plan God equips me, it results in me being a much happier person and God blesses me in ways I never dreamed possible. It is not always easy, juggling, anticipating, being flexible with plans, and so on, and quite frankly, sometimes I don’t get it all right, but what is important is that I always, that you always do your best to try to be that person. In 2 Corinthians 12:9 when Paul pleaded with Jesus to take away the thorn in his flesh, Jesus told him, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” Claim that for you. Let Christ’s power rest upon you, use His strength to supplement your weakness and be the woman, the wife God designed you to be. Amen?

Have a good day and to God be the glory.

God bless you all …

No comments: