Monday, June 2, 2014

June 2 - Proverbs 20:1-22:16

Good morning everyone,

In the proverbs we have been reading a quite a lot about dishonesty, that God despises it. Do you consider yourself to be an honest person? Of course you do, right? Most people would answer yes to that. Having said that, though, most people would also not hesitate to tell a “little white lie” to protect someone’s feelings, but friends, even those teeny little white lies or simple stretching of the truth can compromise your faith. Honesty is direct reflection of who you really are. 

The single best thing I love about God, right after the dying on the cross, is that His ways can not be altered. Hebrews 6:18 says, ”So God has given both his promise and his oath. These two things are unchangeable because it is impossible for God to lie.” His yes is yes, his no is no and he does not lie. You can believe in and count on what he tells you. Love that!

Honesty is not limited to the way you treat and talk to others but also in how you speak to your self. We are our own worst critics, mocking and punishing ourselves for our own desires and qualities, often talking ourselves out of opportunities and potential fun. I was probably one of the world’s biggest cowards in life when it came to attempting “new” things. I never wanted to do anything because I was so hard with the way I critiqued myself, wanting it (whatever it is) to be nothing short of perfect before putting myself out there to be judged by the entire world. It wasn’t until I was a grandmother that I realized and understood what, “we are all the same” really meant. Silly, right? 

Everyone has worries, and certainly no one is perfect, James 3:2 says, “We all stumble in many ways. Anyone who is never at fault in what they say is perfect, able to keep their whole body in check.” And is there anyone  who can keep their whole body in check? It was then I quit beating myself up over every little thing I did, that I was able to really enjoy everything a whole lot more. When I no longer let the “win” of a game be the drive but the experience with my loved ones, when I no longer cared that the cookies didn’t have perfect form but that they were blessing my family. When I no longer let poor punctuation cripple me that I was able to write. Don’t get me wrong, I still have a very high bar and do my very best at all I do do, but I no longer feel the need to have it presented as perfect. Thank you Jesus!

If you struggle with perfection, I would encourage you to pray to God and be honest. Ask him to help you see how he works through your blemishes and accept your weakness as God's way of keeping you dependent upon him. 2 Corinthians 12:19 says, "But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.” Amen?

Have a great day and to God be the glory.

God bless you all …

No comments: