Tuesday, June 3, 2014

June 3 - Proverbs 22:17-24:34

Good morning everyone,

Well, today is our last Proverbs day for awhile, closing out with thirty “Sayings of the Wise.” I have to say, for me, it has been a really nice journey, revisiting all the words of wisdom. You? Are you feeling a bit more wise? I am … at least for the moment. Right?

This section of the Proverbs seems to be a little different then the rest of the book, with more of a personal touch to it, if you know what I mean. In verse 22:19 it says (in my NLT) it says, “I am teaching you today - yes, you- so that you will trust in the Lord.” When I read the “yes,you” this morning I totally felt special. In my minds eye, and we all know how active that can be, I could actually see a finger pointing at me. My shoulders squared up, my chin lifted and I paid a little closer attention. It was a “give me a hug” moment. I know that sounds a bit silly because the entire Bible was written for everyone and even this verse is written to each person individually, but … but, it had an exclusive feel to it. You know?

However, my favorite verse from today’s reading is 23:26, “O my son, give me your heart. May your eyes take delight in following my ways.” What does it mean to give your heart to Jesus? To me, it is to be “born-again,” a cRaZy, miraculous gift from God, by which Jesus Christ comes into your body to live, literally, in the form of the Spirit of God. It is to trust in the Lord with all your heart, all your soul and all your might. The phrase, though so small and unassuming, packs a powerful blow and determines where you will spend your, “all of eternity” because, according to John 3:5, unless you are born-again, you absolutely can not go to heaven. And that, friends, would be so tragic.

So what is born-again? Well to get that, and bear with me because I know I am pretty much speaking to the choir here, it is necessary to understand there are two births. First, the physical birth, where you were, we all are, conceived of our mother and father, then approximately nine months later this tiny, little person is delivered, born, into the world in God’s image, to house man’s soul and spirit while on earth. You with me so far? :-) Man's spirit is dead in sin when we are born; that is, we are born void of God with an inherited sin nature from Adam. In order to understand God and secure a place in heaven we must have a second birth, a spiritual birth, which means to be born of God’s Holy Spirit. This happens when we repent of our sins and ask God to dwell within us, we are born again.

Being born-again is only the first step in your walk, in our walk as Christians. Our sanctification, or becoming more like Christ, is a continual process requiring us to die to self over and over, sometimes minute by minute with each and every day. Our minds must be conformed to God's way of thinking. Our plans, goals and ambitions must be determined by heavenly and eternal truths, not by the evil ways of the world. Also, to be a Christians is not simply to make a living for ourselves, right?, but to be a channel of blessings for others in need as well. To help others know Jesus and move forward in Him. Make sense? 

As for me, I totally delight in following Jesus. I love, love, love how special and secure and whole He makes me feel. The basic truth is this – the closer we get to God and the more we walk with Him and seek only to please Him in every area of our lives – the happier we will become! David wrote in Psalm 37:4, “Delight yourself in the LORD; And He will give you the desires of your heart.” Wow! The desires of our heart! A promise we all can claim. Amen?

Have a great day and to God be the glory.

God bless you all …

No comments: