Monday, December 1, 2014

December 1 - 2 Corinthians 11:1-13:13, Acts 20:7-12

Good morning everyone,

The scripture we read this morning had Paul defending himself against charges false teachers of the day were making against him. He told them, and please as you read this, see it in your mind’s eye. He said, “I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was pelted with stones, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my fellow Jews, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false believers. I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches.” Of course I have read this before but today I am struck with how dedicated and unashamed Paul was in doing what God has called us all to do, “go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.” Matthew 28:19 It gave me pause to consider; How bold am I for Jesus? How bold are you for Jesus?

Contrary to what some of you may believe, I am not a bold person. I am not a person who likes confrontation, it scares me to death and for the most part I avoid it at all costs. It’s been my philosophy, concerning God, not to debate or try to “push” my way of thinking off onto anyone. I will give my opinion, if asked for, but I like calm quiet waters. It is for certain I would never put myself in a situation that could leave me embarrassingly tongue tied. To this I just have to say, “Shame on me! And shame on you too if you are the same way.” Look at all Paul suffered for the love of mankind, to get them to choose the road to heaven, to choose life, while I sit back, applaud and say “Good job.”  

Well, it is time to stop running and stand up for Jesus and what is right. God doesn’t want us to be afraid. He calls us to be bold, courageous, and to know we can handle anything that comes our way! In 1 John we’re told, “You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.” Our God is not a God of fear. 

Just for the record, I have friends I know are reading this who are out there on the front lines of the battle field who are bold and daily present God’s Gospel to many a strange face, some even hostile. You may or may not understand my fears, but I totally want to be like you, you have been an amazing example. I pray for you always. 

I thank God for opening my eyes and revealing to me that I am ready to be bold for Jesus. That I should just strap on my armor and stand firm. That I need no longer run from a frightening conversation but rather look them in the eye and let God speak through me. Still terrifying? You bet! But the Bible is pretty clear as to what happens to people who run away from what God has called them to do. They end up in the wilderness. That’s not where I want to be. And let’s face it, what’s the worse that will likely happen to me, someone will no longer speak to me? That is not nearly as severe a punishment as the floggings Paul received for speaking up with God’s truth.

How about you? Are you in a wilderness today because you are fearfully avoiding confrontation? Like me, and please pray for my boldness, you don’t have to stay there all your life and keep running away from things. You can get out of that wilderness and live in the promised land God has for you. 

Here is a fun fact, Reverend Dudley A. Tyng (1825-1858) was a powerful preacher known for taking strong stands against evil, no matter what the cost. His sermon regarding the evils of slavery in America resulted in him being dismissed as pastor from his church. One afternoon at a YMCA mass meeting Tyng delivered the Gospel to 5,000 men. That day more than 1,000 of the men responded to the alter call, to receive Jesus as their Savior. Just over a week later, Tyng was in a fatal accident but before moving to heaven he whispered a final message to friends and family, “Let us all stand up for Jesus” prompting George Duffield Jr. to write:

Stand up, stand up for Jesus!ye soldiers of the cross; Lift high His royal banner, it must not suffer loss: From vict’ry unto vict’ry, His army shall He lead, Till every foe is vanquished, and Christ is Lord indeed.

And all God’s people said …… Amen.

Have a great day and to God be the glory.

God bless you all ….

No comments: