Saturday, January 24, 2015

January 24 - Job 19:1-21:34

Good morning everyone,

In the Scripture this morning we read, Job 19:25 that said, “I know that my redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand on the earth.” I stopped for a moment and thought about that. A “redeemer”, according to Webster, is someone who makes something bad or unpleasant better or acceptable. Someone who can set free or purchase back something that has been lost. In all of Job’s pain and suffering he does not say, “I wish I had a redeemer.” Nor does he say, “It would be awesome if someone could be my redeemer.” No! He says, “I KNOW that my redeemer lives.” He Knows! I love that.

As Job’s troubles increased, as his burden got heavier and heavier we see the refining fire revealing to him, until it is abundantly clear, who God really is. His Redeemer. You see, he couldn’t buy any help. He could not work to improve his situation. He could only let go and let God. Oh sure, he did a lot of complaining and whining but He knew which way to turn and who would see Him through.

I find that most people I know, are the very same way. That is to say, God’s not their first “go to”.  I don’t care what the problem is, typically the first response is to handle it ourselves. We want it taken care of and quickly because we have a football game to watch or a lawn to mow or a job to go to or something else we feel is equally as important and we’re confident we can handle it much faster or more efficiently than God. How laughable! Right? We forget about our redeemer, that He lives and how great and mighty is He.  So God will send us challenges, trials and difficulties that will strip us down, bring us so low that the only place we have to look is up. He loves us that much.

I am going to end with the lyrics of an old hymn written by Samuel Medley that has been playing over and over in my head since I first read the word “redeemer” this morning. It is so beautiful, I love it, it is one of my faves. I hope you like the reminder of it too.

I Know That My Redeemer Lives 

I know that my Redeemer lives! What comfort this sweet sentence gives!
He lives, he lives, who once was dead; He lives, my ever living head!

He lives triumphant from the grave; He lives eternally to save;
He lives exalted, throned above; He lives to rule his Church in love.

He lives to grant me rich supply; He lives to guide me with his eye;
He lives to comfort me when faint; He lives to hear my soul’s complaint.

He lives to silence all my fears; He lives to wipe away my tears;
He lives to calm my troubled heart; He lives all blessings to impart.

He lives to bless me with his love; He lives to plead for me above;
He lives my hungry soul to feed; He lives to help in time of need.

He lives, my kind, wise, heavenly friend; He lives and loves me to the end;
He lives, and while he lives, I’ll sing; He lives, my Prophet, Priest, and King!

He lives and grants me daily breath; He lives, and I shall conquer death;
He lives my mansion to prepare; He lives to bring me safely there.

He lives, all glory to his name! He lives, my savior, still the same;
What joy this blest assurance gives: I know that my Redeemer lives!

Friends, He is our Prophet, Priest, and King! Our Redeemer! And He lives! 
Then all God’s people said . . . Amen!

Have a great day and to God be the glory.

God bless you all.

No comments: