Sunday, January 25, 2015

January 25 - Job 22:1-25:6


Good morning everyone,

Today we begin our reading with Eliphaz giving his third and final speech to Job. While he says nothing new in this speech, he does get more specific. He can not accept Job at his word and get past his belief that Job’s suffering is God’s punishment for some secret evil deed Job has committed, suggesting several possible scenarios. 

Job’s response to that is, that if there was sin for which he could repent he would, declaring his confidence in his integrity and God’s justice. However, may I suggest to you that, as mere humans, we are always likely to have sin in our lives; sin we can not control because of thought, sin we don’t even know about because God’s bar is set so high and our performance level so imperfect. Make sense? But as Christians and sincere believers in God’s truth, all of our sins are forgiven. Not because of anything we can do. Oh no! God knew we could’t pay the price so He sent His one and only son to dwell among us, teach us, and ultimately die for us.

Jesus obediently paid the price, which by the way was death, for our sins. He was humiliated then tortured and then hung on a cross to die so that we can live. Jesus, secured with nails through his hands and feet to a wooden cross, spoke to the Father and said, “Tetelestai, meaning "It is finished”. A word of triumph, a cry of victory, He had completed what He had come to do. Offering …. friends, did you get that?, He offered, He was not forced to, but He offered himself fully to God as a sacrifice on behalf of humanity. I believe Him, Christ Jesus, to be the noblest person who ever walked the face of this earth. I bow down to Him. I get tears in my eyes when I think about all He gave for me, all He went through for you. Thank you Jesus!

And then Luke 23:46, “speaking in a loud voice, Jesus said, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.” These last words of Jesus from the cross show his absolute trust in God. It was an announcement, not a request, He was headed home. When darkness consumes our lives, it takes faith even to talk to God, even if it is to complain to him, Job knew that.

We all know that life can get really hard and/or hurtful but it is so important to stay in communication with God. Let Him be your strength. Hmmm, here is a little “inside Pam’s private world”  I’ll share with you today. When I was growing up I went to a parochial school for a few years and of course it was mandatory we memorize Scripture. To this day when the Lord has me traveling, for a season, through a dark valley. A time when doubt and fear try to creep in and I can feel the enemy shoving me around as he whispers lies in my head, there are many verses from God’s holy Word that I draw on for strength. I also like to go to my hymnal and pray some of my favorite old hymns. I do love the new music in church but there is nothing like the heartfelt experience that was written down and put to music so many years ago. They are so rich, so poignant, I love them. I also love to The Apostles Creed. I feel grounded when I read it. Like a small child standing next to their strong, protective father who is ready and willing to see me through all life’s challenges. I know most of you already know it, but for those of you who don’t, this is The Apostles Creed:

I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth.
And in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the virgin Mary. 
He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried. He descended into hell. 
On the third day He rose again from the dead. He ascended into heaven and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty. 
From thence He will come to judge the living and the dead. 
I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Christian Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting.  Amen

It doesn’t matter what you say to God when you are frightened, angry, confused, sad or anything else. It just matters that you do talk to Him. Call on Him. He waits to hear from you. Amen?

Have a great day and to God be the glory.

God bless you all …..

No comments: