Tuesday, September 16, 2014

September 16 - Ezra 4:7-23 | Ezra 7:1-8:36

Good morning everyone,

Today we begin with a letter being written to King Artaxerxes informing him of the work that the Jews were doing to rebuild the “rebellious and wicked city” Jerusalem. He implored the king to look back at the archives and see for himself how troublesome the city had been and then instructions as to how the situation should be handled. The king replied with a “shut down all construction” order. 

Think, if you will, on how the enemy does the same thing to us. Ughh, I so do not like it when he goes traipsing through the recesses of my mind looking for some ugly way I behaved in the past and then he pulls it forward to condemn me of it; he loves reminding me of my failures and flaws. You too right? It is at those times when we need to remember we have been washed by the blood of the Lamb. When we accepted Jesus into our hearts our sins were all forgiven. The enemy has no power over us. Romans 8:1 says, “Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.” I would encourage us all to listen instead to the Holy Spirit who, yes will convict, but will always motivate us to move forward. 

Chapters 7 and 8 are several years later, Ezra is preparing to make the eight to nine hundred mile trek to Jerusalem. He was to get those who knew the Law set up in Bible studies and to teach the Word to those who didn’t know it. He was allowed to take anyone he wanted to take with him and he was entrusted with an incredible fortune to to use as he saw fit in accomplishing his task. It was going to be a long and dangerous trip, for sure and he knew it. 

What I totally loved was, Ezra was prepared to not only talk the talk but walk the walk. Verse twenty-one says he was ashamed to ask the king for a guard his perilous journey as it would be contrary to what he had been teaching the whole time he was in captivity and that is “The gracious hand of our God is on everyone who looks to him, but his great anger is against all who forsake him.” So what did he do instead? He fasted and prayed. 

Psalm 50:15 says, “Call on me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you will honor me.” In the Bible over and over again, verse after verse, God beckons us to call on Him. Right? But you may be thinking, “I do, I call on Him all the time. I pray all the right things and I am not hearing from God.” But I would suggest that yes you are hearing from Him, because God doesn’t always say, “Yes! Okay, right away.” No, no, no friends … sometimes He says “No child, I think not” and sometimes He says, “Let’s wait on that awhile.” But none of that means that we should quit praying. In Luke Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up. So like Ezra, just keep praying, remembering God is not surprised by anything, there is a reason for everything. Have faith and trust in His will and remember His timing is perfect. Amen?

Have a great day and to God be the glory.

God bless you all …..

No comments: