Friday, September 26, 2014

September 26 - Matthew 2:1-23 | Luke 2:41-52 | Mark 1:2-8 | Matthew 3:1-12 | Luke 3:1-18 | Mark 1:9-11 | Matthew 3:13-17 | Luke 3:21-22

Good morning everyone,

I have just got to say, I totally love reading the Gospels. I love Jesus and to read about Him makes my heart so full of joy. Thank you Jesus for loving us first and all the sacrifices you made on our behalf. 

Today we begin with the Magi visiting the house of Jesus. It is a little different scene then what the traditional Christmas manger depicts. Jesus is actually a bit older than an infant, they are in their own house and nowhere does it say that there were 3 Magi only that they brought the 3 gifts. The history of the Magi is an amazing study, the threads God wove to get them there is a brilliant illustration of how big our God is. He sees the whole story, all of forever past and future while our little minds only see the moment, one little blip out of context and think, “why?”. God has it so under control and says, “why not.” Our God is an awesome God.

To continue, I am going to move on down to one of my favorite guys, probably the original hippie, John the Baptist. Though he was not a Baptist or a Methodist or a Lutheran or an anything, there was only one church in antiquity and they were Christians. His name came from what he did, he baptized people. He wore camel hair clothes with a leather belt and ate locusts. Yummm … John was a cousin to Jesus and growing up not all that far away from Him, probably spent a lot of time hanging out with Jesus at holidays and festivals. They were about the same age, I rather imagine they knew each other well, that they were good friends. John was sent to prepare the way for the Lord. He knew the Lord’s position, saying, “I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with[c] the Holy Spirit and fire. His winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing floor, gathering his wheat into the barn and burning up the chaff with unquenchable fire.” Sadly, John would live a short life.

It happened one afternoon while John was standing on the banks of the Jordan immersing those who chose to live a Christian life that up walked Jesus and wanting to be baptized. John, probably a little taken aback tells Jesus, “I need to be baptized by you.” But Jesus, (oh how I love Him!!) calms John and says, “Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness.” I imagine they may have had conversations in the past that when Jesus said, “Let it be so now” that it triggered something in John and he thought, “Yea, now’s good.” and John did baptize Jesus but not in repentance as the others, because Jesus is without sin, but in righteousness to fulfill prophecy.

When Jesus came up out of the water the sky split open, the Holy Spirit descended down on Him and a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.” I love how all three were together in one place for that special moment. I think if I could have one visit in time gone by, I would have loved to have been one of the crown on the shore who witnessed that. Too amazing! 

So begins Jesus’ ministry. It promises to be ….. miraculous. Amen?

Have a great day to God be the glory.

God bless you all …..

No comments: