Monday, October 6, 2014

October 6 - Matthew 13:10-23, Luke 8:9-18, Mark 4:21-29, Matthew 13:24-30, Mark 4:30-34, Matthew 13:31-52, Mark 4:35-41, Matthew 8:23-27, Luke 8:22-25

Good morning everyone,

In my world I do not gel well with working through computer issues, or modem problems. I simply have no desire to learn them, I just want them to work as I am more of a “how long does that need to rise” or “knit one pearl two” type a gal. However,  having said that, with Matt away at work a lot of the time, on occasion I will need to speak to tech support when my modern technology fails. Inevitably when I do, I will often have to say to them, when they are running off at the mouth with words and procedures I have no knowledge of,  “Slow down. Speak to me like I am a two year old” so I can get what they are saying. 

Jesus spoke to the multitudes in parables, simple stories used to illustrate a moral or spiritual lesson. Why? I expect because these were a people who had abandoned their old life and become brand new baby Christians. They were not ready for heavy doctrine but as believers they were able to see the simplicity of the truth in the stories Jesus told as often the stories Jesus told were based on the agricultural life that was totally familiar to His followers.

Jesus was THE best at teaching in parables. His parables often have an unexpected twist or surprise ending that catches our attention and drives home the parable's lesson. The parables give us a feeling and insight into heavenly and spiritual concepts that cannot be expressed in mere words. They also give us a much richer understanding of the kingdom of God and its values, which are often the opposite of worldly values. Right?

We read today in Luke 8 how Jesus calmed the storm. A few years ago Matt and I had the privilege of going to Israel and while there we were scheduled to take a boat out on the Sea of Galilee. With tickets in hand we walked down the pier excited to experience what the disciples had felt in antiquity, going over to the other side of the lake. However, before we could reach the end of the pier, a mighty gale storm arose. In a moment of time it was sending powerful winds ripping across the water causing the sea, that had been gentle only a few minutes before, to hurl mountainous waves crashing against the boat and over the pier while heavy rain drops pelted our skin. It was indeed a squall and since we did not have Jesus taking a nap in the bottom of our boat to wake up and calm the storm, they cancelled the trip. All this is to say, that experience brought a whole new meaning to this scripture for me. You know me ….. I can see the disciples bracing themselves against the wind. I can hear them having to shout to be heard and feel the rain drench their clothing. I can feel the boat lifting and falling on the waves much greater even than the pier did. I understand their excitement. Oh buddy!  I love the Lord and how He gives us gifts to know Him better! Such an awesome God is our Yahweh.

Just like Jesus calmed the storm on the water He will calm the storms of our life if we would but put our faith in Him. Not just an, “I’ll let you take care of it Jesus until I don’t like what you’re doing, then I’ll take over again,” but with a faith that can move mountains take your worries to the Cross and leave them there. Let go and let Jesus. Psalm 55  says, “Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken.” Friends, do yourself a favor and claim that promise, then feel the weight be lifted. Jesus loves you, this I know. For the Bible tells me so! Amen?

Have a great day and to God be the glory.

God bless you all …..

No comments: