Sunday, October 26, 2014

October 26 - Mark 12:28-34, Matthew 22:34-40, Mark 12:35-37, Matthew 22:41-46, Luke 20:41-44, Mark 12:38-40, Matthew 23:1-12, Luke 20:45-47, Matthew 23:13-39, Mark 12:41-44, Luke 21:1-4

Good morning everyone,

Today we began our reading with, on the heels of Jesus silencing a Sadducee, one of the the Pharisees, an expert in religious law, challenging Him with, “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” We are told by Matthew and Mark that Jesus replied: “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” Quoting Deuteronomy 6:5 and Leviticus 19:18. We need to understand that this is not a suggestion; not an “if you want to” rather it is a command. God wouldn’t give us a command to do something if it were impossible to do.

Loving God with our whole heart is the key to everything in life because our relationship with God affects everything and everyone in our life. Agreed? It is impossible to love God too much, however it is easy to fall short of loving Him with our whole heart. Sometimes I find myself praying “Lord, how can I love you more”?

It is at these times I have learned to examine my heart. I ask God to show me where I am drifting. Matthew 6:21 says “For where your treasure is, there your heart will also be.” Do you get that? Read it again slowly. “Where your treasure is ..… your heart will be” Now, I love a good murder mystery, movie or book, I also am a fan of different genres of music from pop to country to rock and roll, however when I have a steady diet of any of those, making them my treasure, it is impossible to maintain a close relationship with God. Oh, I can still feel comfortable about being with Him, have conversations with Him, but to really draw close to Him, to feel His presence, Christian music, Bible teachings, “G” rated books and movies and of course reading my Bible have to be like, more than 90% of my “in put”, so to speak. I believe that to be true for everyone, though some would disagree. Nonetheless, I would encourage memorizing scripture because it is where we will find the answer on how to love God with all our hearts. The heart loves what it treasures! We have to seek His great treasure and when we discover it, please hear me … when we discover it, love follows. Make sense?

We also read today about the widow’s offering. This is such a precious story to me because I see it as more than a tithe or offering situation. This woman gave her everything to God and only someone who is unreservedly in love with, agape with, another will do that. I love being around people who love the Lord that much, people whose love for, their trust in, our Abba is so overflowing from their hearts and souls that they willingly give their all to Him. They have a certain glow and an absolute peace about them. Right? Matthew 5:15 says, “In the same way, let your light shine before others.” I want that for me and I want that for you too. I want us to know God’s peace and His love so completely that it radiates from us. You want that too, right? Sometimes I feel like I have a long way to go before I get there, but the only way for me or for any of us to achieve that is to guard what goes into our hearts and minds. Trash in - Trash out. God in - God out. 

Matthew 6:22 says, “The eye is the lamp of the body. So, if your eye is healthy, your whole body will be full of light.” I would encourage everyone of us to fill our hears with Jesus which would totally allow us to, “Love the Lord our God with all our hearts and with all our souls and with all your minds, and likewise, “Love your neighbor as ourselves.” Amen?

Have a great day and to God be the glory.

God bless you all …..

No comments: