Friday, October 31, 2014

October 31 - John 15:18-17:26

Good morning everyone,

Yesterday, in our reading, we were showered with love, love, love. Jesus telling us, “I have loved you even as the father has loved me. Remain in my love.” Commanding us to love one another the same way He loves us. Well today, He goes in another direction. Jesus warns us that as Christians the world will hate us just like it hates Him and that we will be persecuted for our faith in Him just as He was persecuted. The truth of the matter is that while Jesus promises great joy, being a Christian doesn't mean that life will become all easy peasy, sunshine, lollipops and rainbows, If you know what I mean. 

Of the disciples, John is the only one who died a natural death but that’s not because they didn’t try to kill him. After surviving being thrown into boiling oil John lived a martyr’s life being exiled to the Island of Patmos for the remainder of his days where he wrote the book of Revelation. 

Of the others, according to Fox’s Book of Martyrs;
Steven was stoned to death,  
James the Greater was beheaded, 
Peter not feeling worthy of being crucified in the same way as his Master, was crucified head downward.
Andrew was hanged.
Thomas was run through with a spear, tortured with hot plates then burned alive.
Philip was tortured then crucified.
Matthew was beheaded.
Bartholomew was skinned alive then crucified.
James the Lesser was thrown off the Temple wall then beaten to death.
Jude was crucified.
Then there was:
Luke who was hung from an olive tree.
Simon who was crucified.
Mark who was dragged  around then literally ripped to pieces by human hands.
And of course Paul who after years of being flogged, stoned, beaten and imprisoned would give his neck to the sword, so to speak.

Jesus knew what the future held for his disciples and warned them because he did not want them to be discouraged or loose faith, rather to know that He was always with them. He wants you and I to now that too. In the USA, though the clamps are tightening down, we still have the freedom to worship pretty much as we please without a great deal of persecution. Oh sure, we might make some people angry and get called names but that pales in comparison to what is going on in other places of the world. The American Christian, Pastor Saeed, has been imprisoned in Iran for more than two years for his faith being starved, deprived of medication and who knows what else. I will take being shunned over that, any day. Hopefully in our life time Jesus will return, that would be so awesome, but while we wait I would encourage you to be bold in your faith. Right?

Jesus goes on to say that grief will turn to joy. The joy Jesus promises comes from knowing there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and receiving the strength and hope needed to get through the hard times. Jesus said, “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” He would pray for them which included, “Father, protect them by the power of your name, the name you gave me, so that they may be one as we are one.” And “Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world.” Jesus prays for us. I love that. Don’t you?

It is in the hard times of life, the times when you feel alone in your walk with Christ, slammed by difficulties, alienated by those you held close to you, that you need to claim God’s promise of Isaiah 41:10, “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” Believe it! Cling to it with all you are. Because that, my friends, that is the absolute truth. God  does  not  lie. Then sit back and rest in the peace that surpasses all understanding. Amen?

Have a great day and to God be the glory.

God bless you all…

No comments: