Thursday, October 23, 2014

October 23 - Mark 14:3-9, Matthew 26:6-13, John 12:1-1, Mark 11:1-11, Matthew 21:1-11, Luke 19:28-40, John 12:12-19, Luke 19:41-44, John 12:20-36

Good morning everyone,

We begin this morning with Jesus, now in the last week of his life on earth, having a meal at the house of his friend, Simon the Leper. Now, right away this tells you that Simon is someone who Jesus has healed, right? Otherwise he would not be allowed to be in the confines of the city. He would be restricted to the colony where all the other lepers were to live so as not to spread the disease. But get this, also seated at the table were the disciples and Lazarus. I would have loved to have been able to be sitting in a corner listening to the conversation going on while they were eating.

Okay, get behind me with your mind’s eye :-) Lazarus says to Simon, “ Nice of you to have us all over.” Simon answers,” Yea man, it’s awesome to be here. In the colony I had lost a couple of my fingers and my hair had fallen out, I thought I was a goner but then I came to Jesus, asked Him to heal me and He did. I am so much better now than before I got sick. Jesus is the real deal” Lazarus replays, “I know what you’re sayin’ dude. I died, literally died. My body was put in a tomb and I had gone home to heaven. I was sitting there chatting it up with David when I was summoned back. Totally trippin’ Please pass the humus.” Can you see it? 

Then there is Martha who is serving all these people and look at the change in her. Just last chapter or so she was complaining about having to serve but now she is joyful in her station while Mary takes a bottle of perfume, worth an entire years wages and pours it on the head of Jesus while He is in a reclined state. Then she uses her hair to wash it over his body and clean his feet. That is just beautiful! But what’s this? Judas Iscariot, who were told often dipped into the money he was in charge of, objects. Showing his true colors he says, “Why wasn’t this perfume sold and the money given to the poor?” Now, seriously? He does not care about the poor, the father of lies was gaining more and more control of Judas. But Jesus knew what he was doing, He knew his heart, just like he knows yours and He knows mine. We do not deceive Him in anything that we do. 

Continuing on through today’s scripture. In Bethany, Jesus, fulfilling prophecy, sends the disciples for the colt He will ride into town. When they returned they threw their cloaks on the colt, put Jesus on and then as He began his ride the people spread their cloaks on the road before him, joyfully praising Him saying, “Blessed is the king who comes in the name of the Lord!” “Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!” Can you guys see this in your mind’s eye. The Lord, your Christ Jesus, my Christ Jesus, the King of Kings riding into town on a donkey. These are his final days. He knows it and yet He continues to be obedient to God’s will for Him. The magnitude of that can not be comprehended. He is going to what?? You got it, take on all the sins of the world for all of time so that we can be clean enough to enter heaven, if we make a choice to invite Him into our hearts. Every single sin everyone has ever committed Jesus will suffer and die for. Can you imagine that weight? When I even think a bad thought, the grief that it is causes me is so heavy I quickly and totally have to confess it and be rid of it, and here Jesus will be taking on billions of bad thoughts and actions from forever until forever. Think about that.

We’re told as He approached the city of Jerusalem, the crowd rejoiced, but our Lord and Savior He wept, his heart was broken by what He saw. Everywhere was hypocrisy and immoral behavior. It is no different today except for instead of being here on earth, Christ sits on his throne in heaven with a broken heart for those who reject his offer of salvation. Our hearts should be breaking too. We should not be content to live a safe life waiting for Christ to return and not worry about those who are not saved. Recently our church challenged us to think of just one person we know who doesn’t know Jesus as their Savior. We are to pray for boldness in our hearts and opportunity to talk to them about their eternity and what accepting Jesus into their hearts would mean. I challenge you to do the same. Pick one person you know who doesn’t know Christ Jesus to be their personal Savior and pray for them but also pray for yourself to be led by Holy Spirit. Ask Him to give you boldness and wisdom in leading this person to a life surrendered to Jesus. Will you do that? In Matthew it says, “In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.”

There is a little song by Taylor James Williams that in part goes: Oh, and I feel like I'm glowing. And I like where I'm going. Tonight, I'm showing up to shine. This little light of mine, I’m gonna let it shine. This little light of mine, I’m gonna let it shine. This little light of mine, I’m gonna let it shine. Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine. Friends, let your light shine ……. Amen?

Have a great day and to God be the glory.

God bless you all …..

No comments: