Tuesday, October 28, 2014

October 28 - Mark 13:32-37, Matthew 24:36-51, Luke 21:34-38, Matthew 25:1-46

Good morning everyone,

Today as we began, Jesus is telling the disciples to keep a constant watch for his return. Now, nearly two thousand years later, the message remains the same. Christ will return, He is coming again and we absolutely need to watch and be spiritually fit. We are told, “Be careful, or your hearts will be weighed down with carousing, drunkenness and the anxieties of life, and that day will close on you suddenly like a trap. For it will come on all those who live on the face of the whole earth.” 

Did you get that? All those who live on the face of the whole earth. I so loved that reminder today. Sometimes I forget who is in charge and while I don’t go out carousing or entertain drunkenness, I am guilty of allowing the anxieties of life, the inconsistency and worldly behavior of others to drag me down, blanket me with uncertainty and confusion, sometimes robbing me of the joy of the Lord. Then, while wandering a bit dazed not totally focused on Christ and all my many blessings, the Holy Spirit comes along side of me and like a good shepherd gone looking for his lost lamb, He gently and lovingly guides me back with a tender nudge of encouragement or some sweet scripture and then says in his very best New Jersey accent, “Snap out of it!” Reminding me Jesus promises, “And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” And that I should not let my enemies triumph over me, remembering always, my trust and my hope is in the Lord. 

Please don’t get me wrong, I don’t think for a moment that our everyday anxieties will ever keep us out of heaven. I kind of got off topic, but those anxieties most assuredly can and will lead to falling off the wagon or drowning your sorrows, so to speak, in ways that will steer you down a very dark path that you would not want to be found on when the Lord returns. I know all about backsliding and while I won’t go into the gruesome details, I will say it hits you hard and it hits you fast. One day you believe yourself to be fine, living the great Christian life and the next thing you know you are wondering, “How did I get here?” It happens so quickly your head spins. That was a life time ago and by the grace of God and I am sure the prayers of many, I was able to find my way back and I now have a great deal more respect for the enemy and how he looks for those who fall into that funk then wander away on their own. He anxiously waits to pounce on them, me and you, and drag us off to the den of sin. Sadly, if that is where we are when the Lord return we just could hear, “Truly I tell you, I don’t know you.” I am quite certain nobody wants to hear those words. Agreed?


One of the enemy's favorite tools is discouragement! He tries to get us looking at your own mistakes, sins, weaknesses and failures! He will repeatedly tell us “God doesn’t really care about you,” and “This is as good as it gets.” You’ve heard the expression, “Misery loves company?” Well the devil knows the end of the story. He knows he looses and he wants nothing more than to take as many down with him as he can. 

I believe that everyone has doubts from time to time, otherwise, there would be no need for faith. However, when those doubts arise immediately arrest the thought, take each thought captive, then talk to God about them. Seriously?! He already knows what you’re thinking and feeling, so just give it up, claim the power of Jesus. Let Him do your battle for you. Friends, we must cling tightly to the cross, keeping our eyes on the prize, being ready and alert, always watching. No one knows the hour of His return. No one! When you think about it, if things went really well for us today, we could be eating at Christ’s banquet table tonight. To which I say, “Come Lord Jesus, come!” Amen?

Have a great day and to God be the glory!

God bless you all …..

No comments: