Monday, October 13, 2014

October 13 - Mark 9:14-29 | Matthew 17:14-21 | Luke 9:37-43 | Mark 9:30-32 | Matthew 17:22-23 | Luke 9:43-45 | Matthew 17:24-27 | Mark 9:33-37 | Matthew 18:1-6 | Luke 9:46-48 | Mark 9:38-41 | Luke 9:49-50 | Mark 9:42-50 | Matthew 18:7-35

Good morning everyone,

So many good parables and encounters we read about this morning. In my mind’s eye I could see myself there as the confusion was taking place with the boy who was possessed by the evil spirit. How befuddled the disciples must have been to know they could perform the task, but try as they might the boy remained the same until he met Jesus. Did you get that? Until he met Jesus.

Then there was Peter going fishing for the tax money. I love the faith Peter had to just go do what was really the impossible, just because Jesus asked him. Whenever I have gone fishing I always feel grateful to get a nibble. What a great “Oh buddy! Look at this!” moment for Peter when he caught the fish with a coin in it’s mouth. I bet Peter thought,”I knew He would do it!” Heck of a fish story. Right?

We also read today of Jesus telling his disciples, as told in Luke, “Listen carefully to what I am about to tell you: The Son of Man is going to be delivered into the hands of men.” But they did not understand what this meant. It was hidden from them, so that they did not grasp it, and they were afraid to ask him about it.” It is important to notice here, that despite their doubts and fears, they still believed and followed Jesus. We should do no less.

What I appreciated most about today’s scripture was what Jesus told the disciples in Mark 19:21. He replied, “This kind can come out only by prayer.” We can never underestimate the power of prayer. For many it seems to be the last resort. When all “their” efforts have been exhausted, then ….. then, they take it to the cross when prayer should always be our first choice. Prayer is the key that unlocks faith in our walk with Jesus. For prayer to be effective it requires the attitude of complete dependence, a surrendering of all self. There is no substitute for prayer, even those who are unbelievers instinctively know that, as they will quickly call their Christian friends to pray for them when they are facing trials. 

Matthew 21:22 tells us “Whatever we ask in prayer, we will receive, if we have faith.” The first step in receiving is asking for it in prayer.” The disciple James knew that, as a matter of fact, he was nicknamed “Camel-Knees” because he spent so much time on his knees in prayer. We should all want to be known as “Ole Camel-Knees.” We should all be praying about every single aspect of our lives. Amen?! The first thing we should do when we wake in the morning is thank the Lord that we are here for just one more day. What a gift each moment is from God. Then ask for direction, pray He guides your steps, I am telling you it makes all the difference in the world. 

Some time ago I came across a simple little poem that after reading I thought “How very true it is.” I saved it in my files to serve as a reminder if ever again I find myself forgetting to ask my Abba to guide my day. The author is Grace L. Naessens and it goes like this: 

I got up early one morning and rushed right into the day;
I had so much to accomplish that I didn't have time to pray.
Problems just tumbled about me 
and heavier came each task, 
"Why doesn't God help me?" I wondered. 
He answered, "You didn't ask.” 
I wanted to see joy and beauty, 
but the day toiled on gray and bleak; 
I wondered why God didn't show me; 
He said, "But you didn't seek.” 
I tried to come into God's presence; 
I used all my keys at the lock; 
God gently and lovingly chided, 
"My child you didn't knock.” 
I woke up early this morning, 
and paused before entering the day; 
I had so much to accomplish that I had to take time to pray.

God loves hearing from you, He loves hearing from us all. Talk to Him and see the difference it will make in all that you do. Our God is an awesome God who loves, loves, loves us. Amen?

Have a great day and to God be the glory.

God bless you all …..

No comments: