Wednesday, October 15, 2014

October 15 - John 8:21-59, Luke 10:1-11:13

Good morning everyone,

Wow! Lots of good reading today. Whenever I am reading the red words, the words Jesus spoke, I can see myself standing there in the crowd, or sitting on the ground or walking along the road, or wherever He is, I am listening, I am just hanging on his every word. Taking it all in and praying that I would glean from it just exactly what He would have me glean. Love it!! Oh, how I love Jesus.

We began or reading with Jesus telling his disciples He would be going away and where He was going they could not go. They were all kinds of confused with that. Honestly, I would be too. While we have the advantage of knowing the whole story, they were looking at each other with puzzled looks on their faces thinking, “what’s he talking about?”  But you know what? We’re told, even though they did not understand when He spoke, many believed in him. That is so awesome.

In Luke 10 we read that, again, the Lord is sending his followers out to spread the Good News. Jesus told them, “The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few.” In today’s society we have the same situation. There are so many out there who do not know our God, who do not have a personal relationship with Jesus. It is our responsibility as lambs of God to get out there amongst the wolves and teach it. To win hearts for Jesus. I know you all are thinking, “Yep, yep! We agree!” But who actually will? Let me see a show of hands …. good for you! God bless you! Truth be known, I could be a whole lot better in that area. 

The parable of the good Samaritan is so familiar to us all. Those of you who I know read my daily postings, I know you personally to be the good Samaritans. It is easy to walk on by an ugly or needy situation, eyes straight ahead with the “I can’t see you” stare on you face. We are called to have mercy on anyone in need. To be, like a good neighbor ….. :-)

In Luke 11 the disciples said to Jesus, “Lord, teach us to pray, just as John taught his disciples.” They’re talking about John the Baptist, the hairy hippy dude who boldly proclaimed the need for repentance and was known for praying and teaching others to pray. So Jesus said basically to them keep it simple, giving them pretty much the same prayer He gave them two years earlier at the sermon on the mount. He said, “When you pray” first: Praise God. Praising God first puts us in the right frame of mind to tell him about our needs. 

Then pray for our daily needs. God’s provision is daily, not all at once. We can not “store up” God and then not pay attention to Him. It would be like hoping to not get hungry for a week if you stuffed yourself at Sunday night’s meal. Make sense?

Then, forgive our sins. Hmmm, God has forgiven us so now we must forgive others. Matthew 5:23 tells us to, “Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother or sister has something against you, leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to them; then come and offer your gift.” To fully understand the forgiveness we receive from Christ we must humble ourselves and forgive all those who have hurt us or done us an injustice. It is a must, not an option.

Finally lead us not into temptation. Well, God will allow us to be tested by temptation, that’s just the way it goes. It helps us to be stronger, our faith to grow and have a greater dependency on God to see us through. During those times we should pray for God’s help. Fervently pray for His strength, His guidance and friends, believe, believe, believe with everything you are that He will, indeed, see you through. Sometimes …… sometimes, when the seas of your life, when the seas of my life, are really, really rough, it can be a minute by minute saying, “God I know you are there. I believe, I totally believe! Help my unbelief.” I can’t say it bigger than, “don’t ever doubt God’s love for you or that He is in control.” Then, before you know it, are looking back at that bad season of time and seeing all the different ways God blessed you and got you through them. It’s the truth.

There is a song I am going to share with you that, when I was going through one of my crazy rough seasons, totally pierced the very center of my heart. God used it to encourage me and to assure me He was and is always right there by me, that I need only look up. It is by Helen H. Lemmel and it goes:

O soul, are you weary and troubled? No light in the darkness you see? There’s light for a look at the Savior, And life more abundant and free! Through death into life everlasting. He passed, and we follow Him there; O’er us sin no more hath dominion—For more than conqu’rors we are! His Word shall not fail you—He promised; Believe Him, and all will be well: Then go to a world that is dying, His perfect salvation to tell! Turn your eyes upon Jesus, Look full in His wonderful face, And the things of earth will grow strangely dim, In the light of His glory and grace.

What a privilege we have to turn our eyes upon Jesus. I so love how He loves us! Amen?

Have a great day you guys and to God be the glory.

God bless it all ……

No comments: